WiX v3.0.3829.0 was released on Friday, 29-Feb-08. You can download it from http://wix.sourceforge.net/releases/3.0.3829.0/.
- Rob brought back the long-lost WixComPlusExtension and WixMsmqExtension extensions, both in the binaries .zip and the WiX installer package.
- WiX extensions can now have reference paths specified as metadata in .wixproj projects.
- You can now run individual ICEs during validation (in addition to the default of running all except those explicitly suppressed). Light has a -ice switch and an Ices property in the MSBuild targets.
- XmlFile in WixUtilExtension now supports a SelectionLanguage attribute to choose between XPath and XSLPattern if MSXML 3.0 or later is installed on the target machine.
- Heath added support for extensions to be able to support version-checking between authoring and extension version. So you can make sure your authoring is being built with a version of the extension that handles it correctly (or, say, has an important bug fix).
WiX v3.0.3815.0 was released on Friday, 15-Feb-08. You can download it from http://wix.sourceforge.net/releases/3.0.3815.0/.
- Votive now stores user-specific project properties in .user files.
- When building in the IDE, Votive sets properties named for every .wixproj your .wixproj references with values of their configurations.
- You can now generate embedded instance transforms using the InstanceTransforms and Instance elements.
- History.txt is missing entries since v3.0.3801.0. The bug’s been fixed for the next weekly release.
WiX v3.0.3801.0 was released on Friday, 1-Feb-08. You can download it from http://wix.sourceforge.net/releases/3.0.3801.0/.
- The documentation in WiX.chm is getting some significant work, mostly in the “prose” sections (as opposed to the schema reference). Plenty of work left to do, of course, but the improvements in organization open the way for more how-to documentation.
- Add default compression level for cabinets, as discussed previously.
- If validation can’t be run (such as when you’re a limited user running on Windows 2003 Server), a warning is issued instead of an error and failed build.
- Lots of interesting changes in the Votive UI. Wonder where all those changes are coming from…
- Hmm…what’s this?
- The MSBuild Light task again runs out of the MSBuild process, so that the normal side-by-side manifest lets mergemod.dll’s COM objects be loaded. This bug manifested if you ran builds on a machine that didn’t have mergemod.dll registered (such as by the Orca installer).
WiX v3.0.3725.0 was released on Friday, 25-Jan-08. You can download it from http://wix.sourceforge.net/releases/3.0.3725.0/.
- The XmlConfig element in WixUtilExtension now supports a Node attribute value of document to rewrite the whole XML document.
- The new switch -swall for candle, light, and lit suppresses all warnings, for when you’re feeling reckless.
- WixUI now validates that the chosen installation directory is valid, to detect as early as possible what would otherwise be a fatal error.
- Code page values can now be specified by number or “Web name.”
- New core WiX elements include SetDirectory and SetProperty, which offer simplified authoring for type 35 and type 51 custom actions, respectively.
WiX v3.0.3711.0 was released on Friday, 11-Jan-08.
- The WiX MSBuild tasks run repeated commands faster by recycling AppDomains rather than always creating new processes.
- MSBuild tasks are now available for Heat and its extensions.
- The ComponentGroup element can now be a child of Product.
- Binder variables can be used wherever localizable integers are allowed so you can now use !(bind…) in addition to !(loc…).
- Binder variables now include FileVersion and FileLanguage from versioninfo resources, if present. Syntax is:
- Multiple .wxl files of the same culture can now be added to a .wixlib. (Multiple .wxl files of different cultures have always been supported.)
- 1867685: An enhancement to the change I discussed in Simplifying the WiX v3 language.
- Localization support for Votive and its templates.
- The MSBuild wix.targets file is now marked as trusted in the registry to avoid a hackaround to avoid security prompts.
- 1853854: The actual bug was missing localization strings.